Saturday, August 06, 2005

It is Spring

Daffodils

It is definitely Spring.

There are daffodils popping up everywhere, and there is a single, first flower on my Manchurian Pear. The early peach next door in what used to be my father's orchard, is in full bloom.

The double daffodils have appeared (must photograph them next), and I am starting my Daffodil Census again - trying to work out what is where. I have heaps of these ones I call the "Not the King Alfreds" (on the right) which are the same size and growth habit, but with a lighter frill - I think most are reversions from the arty-doublish ones that I have bought in the past that have disappeared. But that doesn't matter - I do like them.

And am still waiting for my miniatures - I have drifts of them, and the remind me of fairies.

The snowdrops (probably properly called Snowflakes) are old favourites of mine - okay in the garden, but stunning as one or two flowers in a vase with a couple of leaves like these Kangaroo Paw leaves. You need to have just a few, with lots of space around them to appreciate their delicacy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Calidore said...

How dare your Manchurian Cherry be out. Mine is covered with lovely furry buds, but no flowers. Boo hoo. If it wasn't dark I would rush out there to investigate and see if I might also boast of a flower. That may be a job for tomorrow - right after the frost has gone.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

So pretty and simple. We often miss the beauty of flowers by looking at them en masse. When taken individually you can really see every aspect of their glory.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Beautiful Linda! but I've waited through all your winter months to see a picture of your garden covered in a white blanket . . . . Where did you hide that picture? . . . . {gg} . . .

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home