Sunday, August 27, 2006

New Winter Rose

Aug06-1

We were nursery hopping yesterday, and I finally succumbed and bought myself a new Hellebore. I had to - it was in a purple pot! (Glad I don't use that rule all the time, as I would have bought some truly awful plants).

This one is Mrs Betty Ranicar - a double white.

Aug06-2

I am just waiting for my others to come into flower, that I bought in April from Post Office Farm Nursery. And I bought a couple of others yesterday at Big W - a white and a white with a pink flush, which I don't think will flower this year.

If I get them all in the same bed, they are well-known for being promiscuous and hybridising happily. Could be fun.

As for the rest of my garden - it is very weedy, as I have been missing in action on other projects. But I do have two beds almost ready for the tommies - except we are still getting frosts, so not yet. And one of the beds needs a lot of gypsum still.

But all my daffodils are out, and are rather beautiful. Once again I need to list what is where, so I can get rid of a few more of the fairly ordinary ones.

But it is definitely the time of the year when getting out into the garden is wonderful fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Maureen said...

Oh!
It's so good to be able to visit your garden again!
Doesn't Mrs Ranicar look great in her suffragette wardrobe!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

First time visitor... I have to remember, your going from winter to spring right now! Love the hellebore..

11:14 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh Yes - if would be an M with the Suffragette comment. :) And it didn't get sent to me - so thank you to Carol for visiting, which led me over here to find M2

7:46 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

Chloe - I thought you must have fallen in a hole in the garden and been covered with mulch. But I really knew you hadn't because I occasionally check your other blogs and knew you were still alive and well.

Certainly gearing up the the Spring time rush now. Good luck with all your preparations and planting.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Wicked Gardener said...

Honestly, who can resist a purple pot?

3:19 PM  
Blogger Ewa said...

I am new to your blog, hello :)
I like it and your new hellebore looks great! I didn't see such one in our nurserie. You are going into summer, right? it will be fun to watch it while there is winter in my garden.
greetings,
ewa

6:55 PM  
Blogger Charles Prendergast said...

Some great imagery there! I have a hell of a time with my garden due to my palpable lack of knowledge. Still - soldiering on and glad to see that others are undergoing the same kind of woes (with admittedly better photography!)

I'm actually going to re-turf my lawn this spring - anyone got any advice before I make a hash of it?

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home