Sunday, October 16, 2005

Moving Treeferns

Maureen asked about moving treeferns - and I tried to e-mail you, but the address I have on file bounced. :(

So here is my way:

1. Don't leave it too long before you do it. (It is not a thing I would do in summer!)

2. Cut off all mature leaves.

3. Cut across at base, just above ground line. Make no attempt to take roots - it doesn't work.

4. Dig hole and plant.

5. This is the important bit - keep soil moist but also keep inside crown moist for several months at least. Some people wrap the trunk in hessian and keep that wet - I have never had to do that. But leave the hose in the crown just slowly dripping as often as any restriction will allow.

Have a look at them in nurseries - no roots!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Most bizarre. Does the area of the root return with a new fern, or does it just die off?

And a query: 'Hessian' - I suspect this is what we call 'burlap' - rough fabric, usually the color of raw twine, that is used up here to protect tender plants from drying out in cold winter winds.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Thank you Chloe.....have passed it on to Shasa.
I was visited by two King Parrots this morning!!
http://kenmaurscorner.blogspot.com/

Also have emailed you my current addie!

Final word: Yes Jenn,burlap and hessian is the same!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home