Friday, March 25, 2005

I still love my Smoke Bush

Bother, Bother, Bother - Alice is correct - they are Cotinus.

So which Smoke Bush is Bystropogon - I could find it on the net, without pictures - and that was what was coming out of my mind - maybe, when I was learning them, it was one of those ones where they were changing names - like I used to get Jacobinia and Justicia confused - it was the same thing - one name was on the way in for the genus, and one was on the way out.

Which is why I should avoid scientific names more. I cannot find Bystropon in any of my books, and only Cotinus in one - but not the common books.

Anyways - I love my Smoke Bushes, no matter what they are called.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

Chloe (sorry if I set the 'cat amongst the pigeons'). According to The Macquarie Dictionary of Trees and Shrubs - Bystropogon origanifolius (Canary Islands Smoke-bush): evergreen shrub 60-90cm. Pale smoky-lilac tiny flowers in a large feathery plume; broad gheyish smooth-edged leaves, white underneath.

The same book lists - Cotinus coggygria (Rhus cotinus); Cotinus coggygria 'Lucas Dwarf'; Cotinus coggygria var. purpureus; Cotinus coggyfria 'Rubrifolius' (the last two both called Purple-leaved Smoke Tree); and Cotinus obovatus.

So, whatever they're called, just continue to enjoy them. Cheers.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever they're called, I've posted a picture of my smoke tree variety on my blog. On the back of the photo it says 'Rhus in flower'. Definitely more of a pink than a purple.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Alice said...

Chloe, you said that you couldn't find Bystropogon in any of your books so I assume that you don't have Gardening Australia's FLORA - The Gardener's Bible. I know it's expensive but it's a fantastic publication. The RRP varies between $169.95 and $145.95, depending on who's advertising it. We bought ours through the Green Book Co. (see http://greenbook.com.au) and saved $60. Another avenue is the Gardeners' Book Service, 211 Bay Street, Brighton, Vic. 3186.

Perhaps you could drop a few hints for your next birthday?

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home