Saturday, January 07, 2006

It's Official - it's early

It is official - this season is much earlier than last year. I thought I wouldn't have a record, as I didn't begin this blog until later in the month - but I have just checked my Stillroom Journal (ie cheap exercise book I have kept for a few years).

Today was my first day of having enough tomatoes to boil up for the freezer - both Romas and a few Grosse Lisse. Last year the first freeze-up was 10 February - and it was only Romas, as there were no Grosee Lisse ready.

So that is a whole month early, which really is significant.

The only reason I can come up with is that we didn't have late frosts, so I got the tommies in early, and they didn't get a check on their growth.

I wonder if that is it.

The other date to note - three days ago the first juvenile Harlequin Bugs were sighted.

Bugger!

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

I just found your blog recently so i thought i would say hi! It is very pleasant to read about tomatoes and tiger lilies though, from the frozen wastes of Michigan! Gives me some hope for the future somehow...and my daughter's name is Chloe too, for whatever that's worth...

11:46 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I admit that I was very happy to leave the harlequin bugs in Gippsland when I moved to Canberra 32 years ago. So far I've not encountered any in my garden. We have our share of slaters, snails, slugs, caterpillars, aphids and white fly, so I don't miss the little coloured fellows at all.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Jessica Harwood said...

Global warming???

9:43 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I am rather concerned about global warming, but in this case I don't know. I am a whole month earlier, and consulting other, older gardeners around town - their tomatoes are not ripe.

The two beds these are in are my best beds, sun and nutrient-wise, a nearby bed that is slightly cooler still is not ripe.

So I think it was just a fortunate conjunction of the planets, or something like that.

Maybe.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home