Tuesday, December 06, 2005

You were asking....

Someone out there was asking about the Tree Onions - here they are, in close-up:

Tree Onions

and in even closer-up:

Tree Onions2

I have been told the trick is to grow from the tops one year and the bottom the next, tops the year after that etc. It apparently gets you more of the little onions on the tops. I sort of follow that, but not exactly. I put in both each year, and always have lots, not matter what they come from.

I will have spare little tops for anyone who wants to have a go at growing them - they are fun, but not an increadibly good onion - they are small and have a dry stalk up the centre.

And here, just for my father, whose birthday it would have been today, is a Dahlia. He loved growing them, and I haven't grown them for years, but I was given this one, and just stuck it in a corner. These were his favourites - dinner plate size.

White dahlia

And the first Christmas Lily came out today.

(Sorry I cannot remember who asked for the closeups. I really appreciate the comments, but with the speed of my life at the minute I am not getting a chance to respond to them - but believe me - I do read them. Soon I might get to go back and check for any questions)

2 Comments:

Blogger Calidore said...

Thank you for the close ups - particulary the tree onions. Mine aren't doing anything like that darn them. Not sure what I have done wrong - maybe they were in the ground too long. I assume when the tops die off, I store the bulbs and replant them next year - of course I do, what a silly question.
Calidore - going off to mutter at her tree onions :-)

10:26 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

and thanx from me for the closeups.....I was visualing the tree in the background sprouting onions........
They don't call me clueless for nothing!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home