Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Last Day of Spring

Tomorrow is the last calendar day of spring, and it has been a day of beautiful rain here - two inches, or 50mm, depending on which way you measure it.

My Christmas lilies are about to come out, so is the lavender. And the Smoke Bush is in full bloom. Here are some snaps just before the rain arrived. All are in the Kitchen Garden.

Mint

The mint is escaping between the loose bricks.

Larkspur

Self-sewn pink Larkspur and Poor Man's (or Russian) Garlic

Carthusian Pinks

Carthusian Pinks, with Tree Onions in the background. This pink was the one used in the 15th Century by the Carthusian Monks to flavour whatever alcoholic drink it was that they were famous for.

Artichoke

My Artichokes coming out in flower - how anyone could pick and eat these, rather than let them flower, I will never know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Calidore said...

Is that "bits" on the end of your tree onions I see. Mine aren't doing anything yet darn it. But I am happy to announce I do at least have flowers on some of my tomatoes - which is about time.

11:44 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Your garden and all the flowers are just amazing!

12:59 AM  
Blogger Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, Chloe, how lovely your garden looks. I just posted pictures of our latest snow fall and I come here and see all the beautiful late spring growth....I am so jealous!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Please chloe could we have a close-up of the tree onions?
Maureen/Curli

6:50 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Chartreuse is the elixir the monks manufactured. I was introduced to it as an apprentice chef - great stuff (puts hairs on your chest - the original stuff anyway).

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home