Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Cockatoos not welcome here!!!!

Aaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot find words to describe my horror.

Yesterday, I looked out the window to see five white cocaktoos busy on the ground at the edges of my round bed out the front. It only took me a minute to realise, and fast as I shooed them off, I know they will be back. I cannot watch 24 hours a day.

They have eaten the tops off ALL my Autumn Crocus in that bed. Those in other beds, more protected by other plants (and further from the bird bath and feeding station) appear okay.

But the main ones are gone.

Not all birds in the garden are nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I guess it's too late to try and protect them with anything now. But if not, how about empty milk cartons, either plastic or cardboard, with the tops and bottoms cut off, or even upturned flower pots, just until the cockatoos get the message in a few days and go somewhere else. I'm not sure if it would work as they are so strong that they can usually demolish anything in their way.

We use the plastic cartons a lot when we plant out seedlings. They give some protection from the sun and wind and also help direct the water to where it's needed.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Calidore said...

Saw on the news the other night where people were rescuing a cockatoo from being tangled in something. Guess he won't want to visit your place anytime soon.

I have the problem with ibis after we water. They dig in the lawn for bugs. I wouldn't mind that so much, but then they start on the garden beds, their long thin beaks can do a surprising amount of damage.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home