Sunday, February 27, 2005

Giant Lillies

Lillies

I am wondering if anyone can assist me with an identification for this plant - which I think is a Lily, but I am unsure. This one has a slight pink tinge, but the one I have at home never reaches this size, and is all white.

This one is at a house I occasionally pass, and for comparison you can see the shorter ornamental ginger (Hedichyum?) and the line across the top is the guttering and eaves of the house! So these are tall.

What I am really after is a name for the group, not this exact one, so I can do a llittle research and chase up some if they are available.

Thanks! Because I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I've looked through several books without any luck so far. I haven't yet tackled the ABC Gardening Australia - FLORA 'The Gardener's Bible', I'll have to have dinner before I can look through their 20,000 plants.

Does the plant have leaves? The flowers appeared to be in a circle around the top of the stem - is that right? Is the flower a similar shape to any other flower that you recognise?

It's not until you start looking through books trying to identify a flower that you realise the millions of flowers there must be in the world, all just a bit different.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Structurally, the flowers (which are in a circle) remind me of Belladonnas. On mine it is evergreen, there are always long thin leaves coming out of a neck above the bulb. I think this one is similar.

This MAY have been in Diggers catalogue about five years ago. As a giant lily.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

They look like canna lilies.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home