Saturday, September 17, 2005

I hate Orange Sparaxis

I really do - I hate orange sparaxis. And I have them everywhere. This year I am going to try and reduce them a little (and cut the bulbs off before I compost the rest).

However, over the past few years I have noticed the seedlings are coming up in a range of colours. A few years ago I separated out quite a good red, and this is the result:

Sparaxis1

Then, last year I noticed a deep red that is almost black - so I managed to collect them, and have them growing on. And now there are more popping up. I do like these - even if, back there somewhere they have an orange parent.

Sparaxis2

Here's one very dark red, although the shot does not do it justice.

I wonder do other people have a most disliked plant (not a weed), in their garden????

3 Comments:

Blogger Alice said...

I have noticed some Sparaxis in colours that I'm sure I never had before. They are pesky things the way they come up everywhere, and look like grass before they produce any flowers.

Richard really hates Centranthus (Valerian) more because it seeds so freely and comes up everywhere. I like it because it's so hardy and virtually never needs watering, keep cutting it back and it keeps producing nice green leaves and loads of flowers (and seeds!!!). It lasts well as a cut flower but smells like dog droppings.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Calidore said...

What am I doing wrong. I don't have all these little treasures in my garden. If you want to get rid of bulbs send them my way. I'll happily pay the postage. And yes Orange does fit into some of my colour schemes. Love the photos and that Wisteria is stunning. Wonder if mine (when I finally buy one to go on Woodhenge), will look that good.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

-and I'll add my plea as well!
If you're going to kill them,please oh please send me some too dear chloe.....(it's the non-watering bit that turns me on,as it's so DRY up here)
and yes,I'll happily pay postage!
Do you know not one snowdrop/bell(?) showed it's head this year,just too dry.
and my freesias are all dying off,after a glorious perfumed display
AND I've got some Shirley poppy seeds for next year! :-)

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home