Monday, November 03, 2014

November in the Garden



It is November in my garden in cool and damp Gippsland in Victoria. Inch and a half of rain yesterday - bit more than we needed. (33mm)

So, here we go.  Yes, it is that time of month again, when gardeners across the country, and across the world, report on their activities, as part of the Garden Share Collective. This is kindly hosted by Liz at Strayed from the Table.
 
The BIG news from here is that YES!!! finally, we almost have our extension finished out the back. Not only will we have a large sun-room, we will have a Garden Shed. I am most excited - it is that square of concrete you can see here, with the wheelbarrow on it. Just waiting for the sides.



Behind it will be the extension to the garage. There was a thought my potting table was going on this side of the wall, but when we finally decided on exposed pebbles for that area, I gave up, as the mix of soil and pebbles would have been too much. So I will get the  BBQ (the black thing lurking behind the barrels), out of the garden.


The down side is that the sun is definitely hitting this bed later in the morning, due to the shade from the extension, but I am going to have to live with that.

So, somehow, I have to reduce the potting area I have so I can fit the four barrels (top photo) along the fence with four citrus. It will be a challenge, as I want to keep the three worm / compost bins growing pumpkins as well. But we need the space where the barrels are, as there is no lawn left in the back garden for the mulcher. Things are tight.




This is what has to be reduced! But I am not giving up this, now I finally have it set up again:


Ths is where I water the pots after potting them up - recycle the water with extra nutirents added that are leached out of the pots.

Meanwhile, back in the veggie garden. It has been an awesome month for growing. Here are beds One, Two and Three, in order:



Bed One was winter onions etc - most of which have not thrived in the wet winter - leeks are currently running to seed, some of the garlic is stunted, due to being overshadowed by the Broad Beans. With a heavy heart, I pulled themout after a few feeds, as they were so large they were dominating the bed. Next year I am going looking for a dwarf variety.


Bed Two is the new tomato house. It is working well, except with cheap arches, what you pay for is what you get. In the recent high winds, three of the junctiosn lost their screws, or snapped them. and I have had to splint them. I had Mizuna in there too, but it just got so big, so quickly, that I have pulled it all out and given it away. I am keeping one plant in a barrel to seed, so I can grow a plant now and then - eight from a punnet is just toooo much



Bed Three has all sorts of seedlings - all under industrial-strength bird deterrent at this stage - although the beetroot may almost be big enough to go on its own. This is cloches plus an almost-overall cover of find black bird netting. And the birds here are big, but they cannot move half-bricks. In the centre is more beeetroot, carrots and parsnips, up the end two sorts of cucumbers.

Beds two and three were hibernated over winter, with manure dug in then covered under several layers of folded shadecloth. At this stage it seems to have been a major success.

My disaster with manure is in Bed One, where the only explantion I have for this is one of the manures - and I cannot remember what went in there.


 Yep - It is Oxalis. I am quite stressed about it, as I did not have it in this garden, and I am going to have to be very careful and dig out every little bit - and there is a fair bit. Big :(

So, here is the formal bit:

Planted since last report: Bok Choi, Beetroot, Cucumbers (second type added to first), Zucchini. It doesn't seem much, but such a heap went in last month.

Harvesting: Spring Onions, Lettuce, Lemons, Mizuna, Carrots, perennial spinach.

Wins: The Celery planted before winter from the base of a commercial stick is going gang-busters. We harvest a little occasionally for a salad.

Plans: Get the Oxalis out,  Now! Let everything else happen as it happens. Can't move the barrels until Autumn, when I can move the pumpkin bins.

And I picked up this idea from someone on the Garden Share Collective- was it e/dig? Use hanging baskets (I bought two large ones at the cheap shop) with netting to make little individual bird-proof houses. Worked a treat with some added saucers, but they grew soooo quick. But it got me over the hump.


I'm off to read everyone else - I won't let myself do it until I have posted, or it would never happen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your garden is coming along brilliantly. So jam packed full of great produce :-) I love the idea of the inverted baskets, that is fab tip. Thanks for sharing. Have a great month I look forward to seeing your garden next month.

9:38 AM  
Blogger lizzie {Strayed Table} said...

oxalis is a nuisance. It sucks all the water out of the soil and then the plant that are near by suffer. It is a right pain to dig out - good luck. Nice new verandah.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making so much progress with your garden. Oxalis is such a pain, isn't it. I'm not sure you ever get rid of it completely.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

Wow - so much is happening.
I also use the cheap arches, but support them with star pickets. It seems to help.
The dreaded oxalis. I have it too. It will take ages to irradicate, but is worth it. Good luck!

9:34 AM  
Blogger e / dig in hobart said...

i've printed your pics of the industrial strength bird protection - i need that!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Total big bummer about the oxalis, it is truly noxious! And the birds, sometime I just want to do them in, they are so so destructive. It looks like you've got things well in hand though, such a productive looking garden.

2:31 PM  
Blogger James said...

The oxalis you've got is purpurea, not pres-caprae, which is the weedy one. The former is relatively easy to weed out, so don't stress!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home