Monday, January 05, 2015

January is here

 

January is here - and so are the mozzies. We have had one hot day over 40 degrees, but apart from that, it has been mild and occasionally damp in Gippsland, Victoria.

It is time for the Garden Share Collective to post about their veggie gardens. That link is to Lizzie's blog, with all the links at the bottom. Thanks Lizzie, for hosting this.

Last month's report is HERE.

First up - here is a quick run through some pics:  This is looking straight down the centre of the veggie garden - always I have previously taken the view from the back door, but I cannot do that now, as there is an extension in the way. And this way I can show off the beautiful concrete paths. At the end of the view is my current potting table:

The pumpkins, in three worm bins, are taking over. It is a set of four different ones in a mixed punnet, plus some late Greek ones that are catching up. We are already harvesting little Golden Nuggets.
 
 The tomato cage is surviving, although it had to be reinforced, and the cucumbers, in the rear, are going gang-busters.Cannot wait for Vinnies welfare to reopen tomorrow, as I have a glut to pass on. First tomato was a cherry, on the 2nd December, but the rest are only just starting now.



Speaking of tomatoes, this is a seedling, that I think will be a cherry, that I just zipped into a large self-watering pot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It does mean I can look at the water levels in the bottom, and I am amazed at how much water this tommie is going through. It has got me watering the others a lot more often. (Hint - I don't like watering tomato leaves, because of powdery mildew. I have a board through the middle of the cage. and I just lay the spray down on that, and it irrigates through the middle. We do have underground watering, but I don't think it is delivering enough at the minute).



Speaking of powdery mildew - there is a little on the Zucchinis, but even without that, they have been a failure. They are about to come out, and I will just use Golden Nuggets where I would use them. Gives me a spare barrel for more lettuce.



Some late capsicum seedlings have gone in, under the bird-mesh cloches. The spring onions at the back have graduated to brick and paver much over sugarcane mulch. I am winning against the birds. I am sure I have more wire cloches somewhere, but I cannot find them. I suspect they are under the pumpkins.

Other mulches that are working are flower pots and tiles. I especially like pots, as any water coming out the bottom contains extra nutrients (I do use Osmocote, mainly, and sparingly in pots)




So, for the formal bit:

Harvesting:

Lettuce
Tomatoes
Cucumbers (glut, of Burpless and Apple)
Carrots - just a few, last crop a failure
Spuds (only a couple, as an experiment in pots) 

Beans (Climbing and French/Butter) (The climbing bean teepee did make a lovely Christmas tree, with tinsel, balls and a star on top. And proved impossible to photograph!)

Golden Nugget pumpkins
Beetroot
Spring Onions

 

Tree Onions (above, very bad year. Very few heads on them.)


Potato onions - both brown and white. These are my delight. Thanks to Rabbid Little Hippy on here, who sent me five of both. This is the harvest, after about ten of each went to two other gardeners.

Planted:

Leeks (seedlings)
Spring onions (seedlings)
Parsley (two types, seed)
Beetroot (Seeds, Derwent Globe, from memory)
Chives - how could I loose chives? I did. (Punnet)
Capsicums (not as many as we started with, with seed. Dog pulled out tags and ate them. Not sure what we have now)

Plans - not a lot, water, weed, harvest, eat, freeze tommies, make tomato sauce.

And read everyone else's blogs. I'm off.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love the crazy wildness of Summer vegetable gardens when the plants are just bursting to produce! Your garden is really bursting at the moment and looks wonderful :-) Lucky you to be harvesting Golden Nuggets already. I won't have any for months yet.Enjoy all of your harvests.

9:20 AM  
Blogger akailyardinadelaide said...

Your garden is looking wonderful Linda, so abundant and lush! I didn't plant golden nuggets this Spring and I regret it now. We have tiny QLD blue which will hopefully grow. It's interesting that your zucchini have failed to thrive, here we have so many we don't know what to do with them all. But not a single bean have we managed to grow!
akailyardinadelaide

12:45 PM  
Blogger africanaussie said...

Oh your concrete paths are awesome! Your whole garden looks so professional and flourishing. I like the way you have your tiles as mulch next to the onions - mine always tend to flop over.... Oh do love this collective - there is always so much to learn. I am wondering if i should try golden nugget in our dry season, my zuchini plants always die off from powery mildew and it seems the golden nugget are more resistant.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Merryn@merrynsmenu said...

Is there anything you are not growing? Seriously your garden is amazing you have so much happening and I love your garden paths with potting table conveniently located. Your garden is a delight Chloe and producing beautifully. Happy New Year :D

2:06 PM  
Blogger lizzie {Strayed Table} said...

Your garden is looking very impressive, paths, bountiful harvests and lush green growth. What a way to start 2015 with all your hard work paying off. Happy New Year to you.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your garden is so well laid out and organised. I really like how effectively you've managed the space.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

The concrete paths make everything look so organized and clean, even with the garden bursting with exuberance.

It must be lovely to spend time out there with all that life.

Happy New Year.

3:24 AM  
Blogger e / dig in hobart said...

I know it will soon be the next garden share, but i'm catching up. your garden looks wonderful for the height of summer.
please give us a post on how you made your wire bird cloches! (though I need to tent my whole yard at the moment, I think) they look very clever.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home